Foldable News operates under a strict ethics policy that ensures our editorial independence and the integrity of our journalism. All of our staff are required to abide by the ethical guidelines, many of which exceed standards in our industry.
Earning and keeping the trust of our audience is, and always will be, at the core of our mission. In a world where information is distributed across countless platforms and formats, it’s more important than ever to promote clear ethical guidelines that allow audiences to know where that information comes from and whether it can be trusted.
Our most valuable asset is the independence that allows us to publish stories without fear.
Foldable News is routinely critical of people and companies we cover, and we’re most proud of our work when we tell stories that people in power would prefer not see the light of day. We are able to enjoy this independence because every member of our editorial team is required to follow a strict code of conduct. Additionally, we enforce a strict wall between Foldable News’ editorial team and our advertising team.
Here are the core guidelines in our code of conduct:
• We don’t accept things of value from companies or from their PR firms, period
• We do not accept preconditions for coverage of a story that require us to say certain things
• We do not give subjects of our reporting the ability to preview or approve interview questions, nor do we allow them to review our stories before we publish
• We do not allow reporters to cover people or companies where they have a personal conflict
• We do not make paid endorsements of any kind
• We do not personally invest in companies we cover
• Our editorial team does not produce paid content, ever
Our policy against receiving anything of value from companies we cover includes, but is not limited to, things like gifts, meals, discounted services, or paid trips and junkets. Foldable News pays for all travel expenses to all events, including transportation, food, and hotels.
In addition to standards that preserve our independence, Foldable News’ reporters are expected to abide by industry-standard ethical guidelines for reporting. This means that our editorial team takes great care to learn the truth and report it, protect sources, minimize risk of harm, and strive for accuracy and honesty in everything we publish. We use the Society of Professional Journalists’ code of ethics as a baseline for the professional conduct of our editorial staff.