Samsung will announce a new launch date for its delayed foldable smartphone with the next few days, ceo Koh Dong-Jin told the Korean Times. “We have reviewed the defect caused from substances that entered the device, and we will reach a conclusion within a few days on the launch”, the company chief was quoted as saying.
Dust and dirt
Samsung has worked on measures to prevent new problems, including strengthening the hinge and minimising the tiny gap between the top layer of the display and the bezel. This should prevent dust and dirt from entering the device.
Earlier this week, Samsung USA announced that it would cancel pre-orders for the delayed Galaxy Fold smartphone, unless buyers explicitly say they still want it. An email was sent out to customers who pre-ordered the device, asking them to make a choice. The email also hinted that Samsung may ship before the 31st of May.
On April 22, Samsung decided to delay the commercial introduction of its flagship Galaxy Fold. The move came after the displays of several devices, in the hands of American reviewers, broke apart. “To fully evaluate this feedback and run further internal tests, we have decided to delay the release of the Galaxy Fold. We plan to announce the release date in the coming weeks,” Samsung said.
The delay was a major blow to Samsung, who made the Galaxy Fold its most prestigious introduction since many years. Earlier, the Korean company had to recall two versions of the Note7 smartphone, after several devices caught fire. Earlier, Samsung had downplayed the issues with the Fold.
7 year development
The Galaxy Fold is the first foldable smartphone of Samsung and the company worked on the technology for 7 years. At least 4 US journalists experienced problems with their screens. Some of these issues were caused by reviewers peeling off the top layer of the display, thinking it was a protective film. The screens died almost instantly. Another reviewer noticed a bulge under the display, with dead pixels as a result.